So I’m a little late in posting this recipe for the first day of spring, but better late than never right? Every year when the clocks change, I go into crazy mode with in-season produce. In the fall that means pumpkins, squash, and apples while spring means asparagus, baby greens, and berries to name a few. Actually, asparagus is the quintessential spring vegetable to me. While it is not my favorite, it is tasty and reminds me that warm, sunny days are just around the corner. It is also super cheap because it’s in season. That’s always an extra incentive to eat seasonally 😉
My favorite way to eat asparagus is sautéed with garlic and topped with lemon zest and red pepper flakes. It’s simple and elegant: you can never to wrong when preparing asparagus this way. While it makes a great side for lunch or dinner, I like to get an extra serving of veggies at breakfast. I usually get up pretty early (around 6am), and love watching the sunrise while drinking some good, strong coffee and enjoying some sort of seasonal veggies and eggs. No need for bread or any other fillers in simple and elegant breakfast, healthy can be delicious!
Garlic Lemon Asparagus
1 bunch asparagus
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1. Cut about 1″ off the ends of the asparagus stalks and rinse them well.
2. Bring a shallow pot filled with about 3-4″ of water to a boil. Make sure the pot is wide enough to fit the asparagus stalks.
3. Once the water is boiling, add the asparagus, turn off the heat, and cover. Let sit covered for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Strain in a colander and run cold water over to stop the cooking.
4. Return the pan to the stove and add the oil and garlic. Saute over medium heat until the garlic is browned and fragrant.
5. Turn the heat off and add the red pepper flakes. Stir well. Add the asparagus, salt, pepper, and lemon zest. Toss well before serving warm.
Spring Forward Garlic Lemon Asparagus and Crispy Fried Eggs
6-7 garlic-lemon asparagus spears (see recipe above)
2 fried eggs
1/4 cup roasted wild mushrooms
Arrange the asparagus spears so they lay flat and fan out on a plate. Top with the fried eggs, and sprinkle with the wild mushrooms. Enjoy!