I’m not a huge snacker. Ok, that’s a lie. I try not to be a huge snacker. If you couldn’t already tell, I’m a huge foodie. I’m always craving a brownie, mac’n’cheese, or some other delicious dish. Most days I’m super busy and don’t have a ton of time to munch, however I need healthy options on hand that will satisfy my hunger and taste delicious. Lately I’ve been making these savory spiced roasted chickpeas and they are perfect! Bursting with flavor, they are naturally packed with protein and fiber not to mention iron and potassium. The beauty of making roasted chickpeas is they are a blank canvas for flavor; you can go sweet or savory. I’m all about savory snacks and the combination of the spices I use is addictive! So instead of popping open a bag of chips, or eating an entire cup of nuts (or nut butter…I’m so guilty!), make a big batch of these chickpeas and snack smart
Savory Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
yields about three cups once roasted
4 cups cooked chickpeas (or about 2 cans drained and rinsed)
2 tsp coconut oil, melted
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you like things)
- Gently pat the chickpeas with a towel to dry them. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Place the chickpeas on the baking sheet and drizzle the oil over them, gently rolling them around to evenly coat the beans.
- Mix the dry spices in a small bowl until combined, then sprinkle over the chickpeas. Gently roll to coat.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then stir them around and place back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. The beans will be golden brown when done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. They will harden as they cool.
- Store in an air-tight container once completely cool. You can leave them out for up to 8-10 hours before storing them.