Guys, it’s fall!! I know, I know, it’s been fall for over a month now but currently we’re in the peak of fall. The time you want to frolic around in the gorgeous leaves* and sip hot coffee while wearing a bright colored scarf. Ok, maybe that’s just me (seriously go away pumpkin lattes – black coffee is where it’s at) but I truly believe the fall feeling is infectious and we should be soaking up every brisk, sunny day. Nature is basically saying, check me out I’m awesome!
Another reason fall is glorious is the food. It’s officially baking season, and my oven has been going non-stop. Pumpkin muffins, apple cake, oatmeal cookies…the list goes on and on. Now I know it’s been awhile since I’ve shared a post with you guys, and let me just say that I am really working on changing that. This blog is the place where I get to share my passion for food and hopefully inspire people to grab a few more veggies when grocery shopping, explore grain-free flours, or smear some coffee grinds on their face. I believe that good food is the key to a happy life. And it sure as hell is the key to a delicious life.
*Seriously, when I was collecting the leaves for this photoshoot, rocking some giant shades and grinning from ear to ear, there was a kid who turned to his dad and said “I want to do what she’s doing.” You’re never too old to play in the leaves!
The past three months have been a big transition period for me, starting a career in real estate amongst other things. My mind has been spinning and I have so much (me) to work on still, but I have to take it one step at a time. The good news is I’ve been cooking and baking up a storm because nothing makes me feel better than a tasty treat! Today I’m sharing an outstanding recipe for a fall soup that will knock your socks off. The combination of sweet sausage with sage in a creamy squash broth speaks for itself. I added pureed cauliflower to the squash base to beef it up and ribbons of collard greens that make this soup the perfect hearty comfort food. This recipe makes a TON of soup, which is wonderful because you’ll have it all week. It’s the gift that keeps giving. Enjoy!
Sausage Sage Squash Soup
1 butternut squash
1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
1 yellow onion, diced
3 Tbsp pasture-raised butter (or coconut oil)
1 lb free-range sweet italian sausage (links or ground is fine
1 bunch collard greens or kale, deveined and chopped
2 heads garlic, roasted
1/4 cup fresh sage, chopped
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp turmeric
pepper, to taste
6 cups organic chicken stock
1. Throw the squash in the oven at 375 F on a tin-foiled lined baking pan until it’s soft, about 40-50 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly before cutting in half, scooping the seeds out, and scoop the flesh out of the skin and place in a bowl.
Place the sausage links on a tin foiled-lined baking sheet and bake at 400 F for 30-40 minutes, until the sausages are crispy and golden brown. Allow to cool before dicing.
2. Add the butter and diced onions to a large pot and saute on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
3. Add the cauliflower, squash, fresh thyme, nutmeg, turmeric, pepper, and chicken stock. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
4. Using an immersion blender or high-speed blender/food processor, blend the soup until creamy and smooth.
5. Add the diced sausage and simmer another 10 minutes before adding the greens. Continue to simmer on low (covered) until the greens are tender.