I’ll eat just about anything chocolate covered, but chocolate covered raisins were one of my favorite coated candies. I would always eat them between track races in high school, and kept a stash in my away meet travel-bag during college competition. They were like crack to me. Unfortunately, the first time I read the ingredient list I realized they had to go.
I never forgot the amazing flavor of sweet, sun-dried raisins with rich chocolate, however, and now enter these chocolate covered raisin candy bars. They are finger-licking good and so much better, both in the ingredient and flavor department than the Raisinets I grew up with. I’m dedicating this recipe to my chocolate loving Aunt Rho (can you tell we are related?!) who is just starting to swim again on a health quest. She could use some delicious, healthy, chocolaty snacks that also boost energy!
With my desire to recreate Raisinets and make an energy snack for my aunt, these delicious morsels pack all the goodness of chocolate covered raisins while boasting the nutrition of energy bars! Dates and raisins provide more than enough sweetness to counter the bitterness of the cacao powder, while hemp protein powder and hemp hearts pack a serious energy punch. You can go ahead and eat these without the chocolate coating and extra raisins and walnuts, but that little extra step takes them over the top. Because I used a coconut oil based chocolate to coat these bars they have to be kept in the freezer, otherwise they will melt. But seriously, if you have ever had a frozen Snickers bar you know how much better it is. And with summer right around the corner, snacking on this cool candy will seem more than ok 🙂
Chocolate Covered Raisin Candy Bars
1 cup raisins
6 dates, pitted (I used medjool dates)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup hemp hearts
1/3 cup unsweetened cacao powder
2 Tbsp raw hemp protein powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash of sea salt
1 recipe for three ingredient chocolate*
1/4 cup raisins, optional
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
*You can also melt 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with 1 Tbsp coconut oil
1. Using a food processor, blend the dates and raisins for about 10 seconds. Add the coconut, tahini, and hemp hearts, and process another 10 seconds. Next add the cacao powder, hemp protein powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt. Process until a dough ball starts to form, about 45-60 seconds.
2. Line the bottom of a bread loaf pan with wax paper, and press the dough evenly into the pan. Let sit in the fridge for 1-2 hours to set.
3. Make the three ingredient chocolate, or melt your chocolate chips. Take the candy out of the fridge, and cut into 1″ strips. Cut each strip in half so you are left with about 4″ long pieces.
4. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Dip each candy into the melted chocolate until fully coated, shake off the excess chocolate, then lay on the prepared sheet. Continue until all the pieces are chocolate-coated.
5. Place raisins and walnut pieces on top of each bar, then drizzle with the remaining melted chocolate. Put in the freezer to set for at least 30 minutes. Store in an air-tight container.